Learning at Sund Upper Secondary scool
In the National Curriculum Guide at the upper secondary school, the following states:
"Secondary schools should prepare their students for life, work and further education. Schools play a major role in the general education and social education of students, as well as being a platform for the promotion of national and international cultural values. "
Aim of study for a matriculation exam in MS
Sund Upper Secondary school is a college that offers students a wide range of courses for university studies in two fields of study, sociology and natural sciences, where students have considerable freedom to choose courses within the courses and across the lanes. The school curriculum assumes that students are making use of their knowledge in the creative direction of a variety of project work, involving literacy in a broad sense, critical thinking, respect for cultural heritage and nature, sense of mind and responsibility.
Educational and Teaching Methods
Respect - Equality - Responsibility - Honesty
The main objective at Sund Upper Secondary School is diversity in learning and teaching methods, with the aim of stimulating the activity and participation of students. Emphasis is placed on creative learning where individuals can enjoy themselves in project-based and collaborative learning. Students have the opportunity to gain expertise, the ability to work with it and the ability to exploit differently.
The school's policy calls for study habits where student responsibility for own education, attendance, activity and participation play a key role. It is important for students to work steadily, to pursue honest practices and to maintain perseverance as mistakes are a normal part of the learning process.
The school encourages teachers for innovation and development, which looks at both the content of the study and the learning environment.
The program of study of each course presents further implementation of study and teaching methods.
Organization of studies at Sund Upper Secondary School
A student's degree in MS is 206 units
The program is organized to provide the best preparation for further studies at university level
Students choose a specialized course within the course and one specialization in addition to an independent course
Courses are organized according to eligibility requirements
Emphasis is placed on environmental issues and creative subjects
A student manages his / her own study speed
The school emphasizes:
- Pampering environment.
- Varied teaching methods and powerful development work.
- Good working spirit.
- Good preparation for university education and professional counseling.
- Good and modern facilities for learning and teaching.
- International collaboration between students and teachers.
- Active self-assessment.
- Assistance for students with learning disabilities.
- Independent student practices.
- A powerful social life of students and active defense work.
Graduation - Matriculation
Upon completion of studies, the following requirements are made for students:
- Students meet the requirements for study at university level.
- Students have gained a broad view of society that facilitates their learning and career choices.
- Students have general knowledge, but also a solid knowledge in the field of choice. It implies that students:
- like literature and art and enjoy them
- are familiar with their rights and obligations of democracy.
- take good care of the environment and are aware of its responsibility towards the environment.
- are aware of the roots of Icelandic culture, the uniqueness of Iceland, its position in the international community and its responsibility towards it.
- Students have taken a careful approach and ability to cope with new subjects. It implies that students:
- have good authority in the Icelandic language, both in speech and in writing.
- have good proficiency in English and in at least two other European languages.
- can work well on projects, both independently and with others.
- can collect information in a variety of ways, e.g. using libraries, various tour guides and computer networks.
- can apply their knowledge to new subjects.
- can provide and appreciate constructive criticism and argue their ideas.
- Students have enjoyed themselves well. It implies that students:
- are respectful of yourself and other people, regardless of their beliefs, beliefs and appearance.
- value their environment.
- take care of punctuality and general courtesy.
- Students have faith in their abilities and realize that they are responsible for their studies.
Right after graduation
A matriculation degree provides admission to university and university education at the discretion of each school. Upper Secondary School provides good general education which is considered a good preparation for a variety of jobs. However, a matriculation course from upper secondary school does not provide any legal qualifications.